Monday, September 23, 2013

Food for Thought

Some thoughts on meals and snacks.


1. Meal Plan: and utilize items you have on hand. This can be tricky and takes some practice and dedication. I am great at meal planning, but not always great at following through with said meal plan. Sometimes I plan for meals and don't feel like cooking or eating them and hate that my fresh ingredients may go bad before I get a chance to use them. If you struggle in this area consider meal plans that contain freezable or non-perishable ingredients.

2. E for Effort: Understand that your kids are just as excited about "Cereal Sunday" and hot dogs as they are about homemade spaghetti and meatballs. I love to cook, but sometimes I don't have time for an elaborate meal. Besides, they've never been more excited about a meal than when the pizza delivery guy rings the doorbell. 

3. Marketing matters: My kids don't like pretzels, but they LOVE to eat the ones that are shaped like letters. Same thing with cheese crackers vs. Goldfish crackers. Pay the extra money for the snacks they will actually eat. Consider this option with presentation. Sometimes taking a few minutes to cut food into shapes or smaller pieces is all it takes for picky eaters to change their minds.

4. Speaking of picky eaters: I make one meal and my kids are required to eat some of it. I am not a short order cook. However, if I am making something for the main course that I know is either not their favorite or may not be well received, I make sure I stick to favorites on side dishes. They do not have to eat all of it but the bonus if they make a "Happy Plate*" is they get dessert.

5. Rewards: Food can be an incentive, but shouldn't be the only incentive. For example, if my kids are having a great day, I will offer a special dessert. They are allowed to make special requests for meals. And when my son was having trouble with table manners I gave him the incentive of, "If you can go this entire meal without opening your mouth with food in it, I will make you whatever you want for dinner next week." It worked.

6. Snacks: If you have little ones who always seem to want a snack right before dinner and you are worried about them ruining their appetites try giving them a portion of their meal as a snack. I suggest the vegetables. If they want them, they usually are legitimately hungry, if not they are probably bored or just want a sugary snack. My daughter loves snacks and could care less about an actual meal. For a time we had to forgo snacks because she was snacking so much that she didn't want to eat her dinner. It only took one day of this to get her back on track. Also, if they really want the snack you can leave it on the table during the meal and say that they can have it after they eat a good dinner.

7. Leftovers: No one in my house really likes to eat leftovers (including me). My aim in cooking is to either leave no leftovers or make enough to stretch out two meals. You don't always have to double a recipe if your children are small or lighter eaters. If you have the space freeze the extra meal if you don't consider sharing the meal with another family or a hungry college kid. 

8. Mealtime = Family time: We eat every dinner at the table and we turn off the tv. My husband and I didn't grow up doing this and it was important to us that our children would have memories centered around the dinner table. However, one of my kid's favorite things to do is have a "Party Tray Picnic" I get a party tray from the deli, carrots, apples/grapes, or other fun finger foods and we spread out a blanket on the living room floor. We watch movies or play games and eat off of paper plates. It's a great bonding time and clean up is a snap!

9. Healthy Habits: Prepare a variety of fruits and vegetables and healthy options for your children because no one else will! If I can teach a 4.5YO who had never really seen vegetables to like them, you can too! Keep trying because kid's pallets change. If you have to you can resort to adding cheese, dips, bribes, etc ;)

10. Cooking = Teaching: I understand this is harder for working moms and on busy weeknights, but I try to include the kids when I am cooking and use this time as teaching/bonding moments as age appropriate. Little ones can count/measure ingredients and stir, they can also set the table, pass out napkins and take their dishes to the sink, or sweep up crumbs after the meal. 

11. Rules are made to be broken: One of my favorite things to do during the summer is to have ice cream for dinner. We have a big lunch and a late snack (that is really dinner), then at dinner time we go out for ice cream. The kids love this and look forward to it every summer. Sometimes I let them have "dessert" first or for breakfast especially if it's a fruit and veggie smoothie. To them it's dessert and it is a fun treat. 

What are some of your favorite tips and tricks?


*A Happy Plate isn't necessarily a clean one. I tell my children to listen to their bodies and if they feel full they can stop. However they only get dessert if they have made a good effort to have tried all of the food and to eat a good balance of their meal. 


No comments:

Post a Comment