Monday, April 2, 2012

How We Became a Family (The Cliffs Notes Version)

I always enjoy the looks that people give my family when we're out and about. My handsome, very white, blue eyed husband doting on our adorable, tan, brown eyed children. Then there's me the Asian adjacent, brown eyed mother.

I think the most common thought is, "Wow what a kind man to take on that woman and all three of her children." Which actually, isn't too far from the truth! However, despite the fact that my daughter looks very much like me or that my sons have their dad's bright smiles, we share no DNA. All three of our precious children are siblings and all three are adopted.

My husband and I tried unsuccessfully to have children the conventional way, but it never happened. We did many fertility treatments, we had a failed private adoption, and then we decided to become foster parents. After a long fostering journey and an unselfish act of love from their biological mother, we became adoptive parents. Then we became just parents.

Being a parent is definitely on my list of greatest adventures. I am honored to get to be a mommy. I am also honored to get to share this journey with my husband--not many men are up for this sort of challenge and then to add kid's on top of that! Well, there's a reason why I love him so!

No comments:

Post a Comment