Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Put a Pin in It!

So, most of you know all about Pinterest by now. If you don't I suggest you stay ignorant! Unless of course you need another time-sucker/distraction in your life or you fancy yourself an inferiority complex.

Seriously, some of the things on there make me think to myself, "I am a bad mom! My child's Easter is going to be miserable without these personalized decoupaged Easter eggs!" Or, "How can I possibly be a productive member of society if the meringue on my pie is less than six inches high!"

Other things on the site make me think, "Wow, that's so easy! Why did I never think to try that?!"
And though I have had some successes, there have been things that were all out failures.
Though I think the ones that were mediocre are even worse than the failures. At least with the failure you get the satisfaction of being mad or annoyed at something!

Most of my "pins" are cleaning related because we no longer have a house keeper. Okay technically we still have one, it's just me now and I'm not so great at it. I should fire myself, but I digress.

Here are my top cleaning Pin's that I've tried and how they worked out for me:

  • Make your own powder laundry detergent: Meh. I had to really tweak the recipe because I like my clean clothes smelling of flowers and such. By the time it was all said and done I think I could have just bought my favorite liquid detergent and called it a day. The recipe claims you only need about 2Tbs per load, but that freaks me right out when I look at the amount of clothes I shove into my washer so I end up using more. It didn't really save me money, and it didn't make my clothes dramatically cleaner.
  • Blue Dawn/Vinegar soap scum remover: This is actually a really good one. If you don't mind the smell of vinegar and Blue Dawn.
  • Half Grapefruit/Kosher Salt Bathroom scrubber: This did not work--at all. It did however, get little bits of pulp all over my bathtub, shower, and faucet.
  • Citrus rind/vinegar all purpose cleaner: This one stinks. No literally, it stinks like urine--unsavory.
  • Vinegar as a fabric softener/mildew smell remover: Works well and your clothes do not stink like vinegar after they dry.
  • Lemon/Salt mildew spot remover. This works very well, but be careful as it might bleach some fabrics.
I'll keep you posted if I find any good ones, they're out there, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment